In Thing 4 the task is multi-fold:  examine a number of blogs, evaluate blogging with a number of given critera, make comment on blogs read.  Whew!  I hope that my benumbed fingers are up to it.  Let’s examine the “genre of blog writing in general”.  First impression is – instant messaging on steriods.  The writing style is chatty, personal, introspective, and highly opinonated.  Examine the comments in the blog Imagine Turning On the Faucet and Nothing Coming Out .  Most of the comments really don’t address the “big picture” but rather deal with how does this affect me. 

Every course of study, whether it be history, math, or science, has its own style of writing and therefore is own style of reading.   A teacher, writing a post in his or her subject area, would write in a style that would be compatible with that subject area.  Since I read and speak Nerd, I write in Nerd.  So I really don’t see that there really exists a difference in blog reading and writing to be any different than any other literacy method used by teachers.   I would use the blog  A Rationale for Educational Blogging  as an example of writing to a particular audience.  Written for teachers, it is filled with Educationese terminology.  I might add that the long list of blog benefits are actually affective behaviorial objectives.  With all affective objectives, the would be nice if accomplished, but there is not way to evaluate their overall incorporation into the student’s “learning toolbox”.

Of the several points I was asked to reflect upon  ”How can blogging facilitate learning?”  Since blogging allows for expression, perhaps it can unleash the creativity that the routine of schooling, testing, homework, structured course of study, tend to stymy?  I did find myself in much agreement with the blog How To Prevent Another Leonardo Da Vinci.  (I recommend also viewing the TED Do Schools Kill Creativity.)  But undisciplined expression yields chaotic results.   Opinion without suppporting evidence is not really learning.  It is just a rant.  Does blogging require a rubic?  As Joyce Valenza tried to show in her blog PowerPoint Reform – A First Chapter there are better ways to use technological tools.  And those remain static in the use of these tools end up making the those tools ineffectual.

In conclusion, remember the kids are way ahead of the vast majority of educations in the use of Web 2.0.   Spies Like Us was an eye-opener for me.  Maybe I should put a couple of Web cams in my room to show parents what really goes on.

And that’s how I see it!

3 Responses to “Thing 4 – Some Thoughts on Blogs I’ve Read”
  1. atlantapeachteach says:

Some very good points! I agree with the creativity squashing that is going on in schools everywhere and at all levels and in all disciplines. But the age old question arises, “How do I evaluate this?” occurs. Parents, administrators, etc. want metrics and they aren’t always good for education

2. fruschen says:

I concur. Evaluation is the bugaboo. That’s why I pointed out that many of the stated goals of blog use are affective rather than cognitive. Vitually imposssible to evaluate. Does a hundred words a week contributed to a blog mean an A or a C. But then again I am a cool blue rather than a pink fuzzy. I like quantition, numbers, and the such like. Minutae is my life.

3. cwkramlich says:

I work with creative teachers every day. Creativity doesn’t have to be squashed. But it does take effort, planning, fairness, and creativity! I’m not so sure blogging is the answer. There is, as your blog states, lots of ranting in blogging. Are students astute enough to know the difference between unbiased fact and ranting opinions? Will they take the time to investigate the difference? Will they ever learn formal writing from blogging? These are questions that keep me up at night…that and too much caffeine.

4.